Sunday 22 November 2009

Far Ings


My first visit to this reserve in North Lincs resulted in two birding 'firsts' for me - a pair of Bearded Tits and a Bittern!

Far Ings is on the banks of the River Humber just to the West of The Humber Bridge and is managed by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust. It is well worth a visit. There are 8 hides, toilet facilities, free parking and a visitor centre (visitor centre not open every day).

LWT Far Ings Website

Far Ings Location on Multimap



Speaking of 'firsts' this is my first ever blog!


Bearded Tits
The Bearded Tits appeared after just 10 minutes and hung around long enough for me to get plenty of shots. Sadly they didn't provide any natural poses in the reedbeds either side of this gravel path but I'm still well pleased.







Bittern
Locating the Bittern was an altogether more complicated task and but for an eagle-eyed bloke who was already in the hide I would have missed it. He had to point it out several times and I still only saw it after it started moving. I hadn't realised just how stealthy these birds are!



I've made many trips to other reserves to photograph these birds but without any luck. After today I realised why. A casual scan around the edge of the reedbeds is not just good enough. You need a good pair of binoculars and a fair amount of patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment