Sunday 21 February 2010

Potteric Carr

I looked on the BBC weather site on Friday and it had a forecast of bright sunshine for today (Sunday) so I made up my mind to visit Potteric Carr. By late Saturday night the forecast wasn't quite as good - early mist and then white cloud for Sunday morning.

I woke up this morning to heavy snow! Good old BBC.

Normally this would be enough to send me straight back to bed but as I haven't been out with the camera for several weeks I decided to give it a go. The 30-odd mile journey was quite treacherous in parts but I got their in the end.

These are the best of this morning's pictures...

I hadn't been at the Piper Marsh hide for long when a Bittern flew in and concealed itself on one of the islands in the middle of the lake. Thankfully it didn't stay there too long and took flight to the far side of the lake. I got a few shots of the bird in flight but the distance was a bit too great for my 500mm lens + 1.4x teleconverter so they are a bit fuzzy.

Bittern



I also visited Willow Pool Hide where another Bittern landed on a small island before having a walk across the ice.




The rest of the birds were gathered around the feeders at Willow Pool Hide.

Water Rail


Wood Pigeon


Reed Bunting (Male)


Female Reed Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment